Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Multnomah Falls - Columbia River Gorge, OR

I feel the need for some explanation on this post. We did a hike that took us up to the top of the falls - the falls is something like 650 feet high, but it took us a mile of hiking to get up there. Eleven switchbacks! It was some pretty steep hiking. Plus, the trail had mostly no rail or anything, so, on one side you would see rock wall or trees and the other side...steep dropoff! In a couple of places the trail had crumbled away and only one person could go on it at a time (there were people hiking up and down on the same narrow trail).

I am sure I'm exaggerating the danger, but I am somewhat scared of heights and I just had to force myself not to think about all the things that could go wrong! (That's just the way my mind works!) Anyway, the view from the top was worth it - when you see the pictures from the top, take a look at the parking lot down below and see how tiny the cars are!!




Not even half way there! (above)

This one (above) is looking down from the top!

It made my heart drop into my stomach to peek over this railing. Pics don't do it justice!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Hahahaha NO WAY WOULD I EVER DO THIS. Of course, I'll be missing out--you got some amazing pictures plus got to have a really cool experience, and show the kids that you can do stuff like that and not be afraid. BUT NO WAY.

Anonymous said...

Not only would this be too steep & long--it looks a little too scary for me. I think I would have enjoyed just looking at the falls from below. However, good for all of you taking the opportunity!BRAVO! me-ma

Shirley Lukenbill said...

Oh, my!! I'm glad I have some brave mountain goats in my family!! I'm with you on the steep climbs, Julie--and that trail sounds scary! You'd think they'd put up a lift of some sort--but I know it's good for adventurers like your family---and not for me! Granny

The Frahms said...

Tad and I are jealous! We now want to visit Multnomah Falls!!! I would also be a little nervous on the steep, narrow paths. But, yes, worth it. Loved these vacation posts. Thanks for sharing. I'm not only updating my own blog -- but, checking everyone else's again. Fun!