Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weather







I post so rarely lately that I thought I would make this an extra long post about the weather - maybe that will make up for it somehow...or maybe not....
Spring is about the only time of year when Austin gets interesting weather. When May hits, you can count on the meteorologists saying, "This week: Hot, Dry, Sunny". And that lasts until about October! So, when we get any kind of different weather we all get very excited!
Needless to say, last night was one of those nights. We had a hail storm come through and the kids were pumped! We were under a tornado watch so I had the local news on and this wound them up even more. Fortunately, there were no tornados, just extremely loud hail! A good amount of it was golf ball sized - the biggest I have ever seen in person. Amazingly, my friends who had to leave their cars out did not have any damage on them, although I know that many in Austin did have window and windshield damage.
Of course, James was out of town for this storm, as he was the time we actually had a tornado warning and I had to carry the sleeping kids down to the hall closet and the one time it snowed! Poor James, he missed out on all the excitement!

3 comments:

Allison said...

I clicked on your blog earlier to show Joyce the pic of Mia with the hail, and saw these! Wow. We didn't get ANY hail. South Austin: Where It's Always Sunny. Just kidding. We did get lots of rain and thunder and lightning.

The Frahms said...

Hey, I like your new blog layout!

I love listening to thunder and watching lightning...and storms in general. Well, as long as nothing or no one is hurt. How exciting!!

Big Fish said...

Those are big hails and they are quite a lot.
By the way, I'm Ya-Ching Hsu, a former student of Mrs. Lukenbill. This is the second time I read your blog. It's a good way to record children's growth. Keep up the good work.