
The train stopped in Whittier, Alaska. This is a TINY town with hardly anything in it. Supposedly the 200 people who live there all live in this one apartment building. I've been told it gets down to -50 degrees Farenheit there in the winter and gets huge amounts of snow, so maybe that explains the small number of people who live there!
Why did we go there then, you ask? Well, it is the starting point to the 26 Glaciers Cruise! This was a four hour cruise through Prince William Sound that took us by at least 26 glaciers. The Klondike Express was the name of the boat. (There's a picture of the Klondike Express above - note the huge Princess Cruise ship behind it! Whittier is also a point of origin for them.)
The most exciting part of the cruise was Surprise Glacier, the glacier pictured above. We got to see it "calving", which is when chunks fall off into the water and make a big splash and sound like thunder! I felt like I was in a National Geographic special. The kids thought it was pretty cool, although I think the significance of it was a little bit beyond them. It was pretty surreal to be on a boat in the middle of snow capped mountains, floating by big floating pieces of ice and looking at glaciers. This may have been my favorite part of the trip, but don't hold me to that!
In addition to the glaciers and our fish and chip lunch, we saw lots of sea otters playing in the water, seals, eagles, birds and many waterfalls.
2 comments:
Fisher-Mia! Love the glacier pix.
It was great seeing you when we TX! I love the pictures. They are crystal clear. It makes me want to go except for the bears. Also, I have to agree with you that Mia's picture looks a lot like you! That must be where she gets her good looks.
Post a Comment