Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Kenai River

After leaving Seward, we headed for Homer. On the way, we passed through a town called Cooper Landing on the Kenai River. Kenai Lake, the Kenai River and the Russian River is where lots of people go fishing for salmon. We were there a couple of weeks before the salmon fishing would really get going (the kings were supposed to be there, but the silvers would be a few more weeks). The water in these rivers and lakes was so beautiful it didn't even look real! My mom said she's seen rivers this color in the Alps in Switzerland, but I had never seen anything this color before.

When we stopped to take these pictures I saw, probably 20 feet away from me - at eye level - an eagle flying over this bridge carrying a fish in its talons! I didn't have time to take a picture (it wouldn't have come out very good anyway) but I just watched it. Amazing sight!

1 comment:

Allison said...

THAT is gorgeous! (The river. Sorry, James.) You are making my blog look bad.